Saturday, July 24, 2010

The One I Found While Organizing


(The names have been changed to protect the innocent adolescents. Also, this was written in 1997, so please excuse the inexperienced writing. Yes, I know to stay in one verb tense and avoid those be verbs now.)

The Night Monkey Came

I was in the hospital after Monkey was born. It had been a sleepless night that led to a sleepless day; everyone had been to the hospital and there had been someone in my room continually. Finally, everyone left at the end of visiting hours. Michael's rush had finally peaked, and his Superman returned to Clark Kent. I went to sleep at 10:00 knowing that at 11:00 I would wake up again to feed Monkey.

But at 2 a.m. I looked at the black and white schoolhouse clock and realized I'd finally gotten some rest. That's when the nurse rolled Monkey in. The room was completely black and the door released a triangle of light across Michael sleeping on the couch. The nurse whispered, "I came at 11:00, but mommy was sleeping, and daddy was sleeping, and baby was sleeping." 

It was the first time I had ever been called mommy and I realized I would always be Mommy. The nurse then put Monkey in my arms, and my life hasn't been the same since.

No comments:

Post a Comment